Wednesday 22 August 2007

Cauliflowers

I stopped reading comics in the early nineties... the American comics were undergoing a change that I didn't like. Many artists started to draw heroes in an new style (which, in itself shouldn't be bad), they didn't care about anatomy, didn't care about good storytelling, didn't care about drawing realistic ears... Everything was just Action. ACTION. Fast pacing, speed lines, speedlines, speedlines, tendons and veins lying outside and over the whole body.
And then there was these bad ears.
Everyone having Cauliflower ears.

I stopped buying (action) comics.

This summer I came in contact with some new Marvel stuff. This was really good.
The storytelling was good - a mix of slow pace and action - the drawings and coloring was awsome. They have done some brave things with the universe. And I like it. Mucho.
Civil War. World War Hulk. Peter Parker going public. Killing Cap'n A...
Great stuff.

I have also discovered the new breed of artist, like Nguyen, McNiven (good with ears), Bianchi, Immonen, Charest , Cheung, Francis Yu and many more. And this is only the Marvel people.

Travis Charest have developed an interesting European/South American style which has always been the thing for me (being an European myself). Like Moebius, Gimenéz, Hermann, Bilal and others. It is going to be extremely intreresting to see if Mr. Charest is using at least part of this style going back to sequential art on Marvel.
Sure hope so. American (action) comics could use som other influences than Manga.

Well, going non European, non American, non whatsoever, I've done a Captain America for fun.


No comments: